Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Georgie Exinord_Starry Night Prompt_ Blog#2


The Starry Night painting by Van Gogh represents the beauty around us. We walk past places and see things but never stop to take in its beauty. And sometimes we live in that beauty, but don’t recognize it. This reminded me of very moment when I realized how much I appreciated the neighborhood I currently live in. It was still very new to me because I had recently moved from the Heights where love and blaring music in the streets was abundant, and that was surely beautiful to me- to actually know your neighbors. Then, when I moved here, Harlem, I noticed soul and culture around me along with diversity and classic brownstones. It was then when I noticed beauty never left me, because beauty is everywhere. In Van Gogh’s painting I think he did an exceptional job capturing his beauty.
Details like his painting technique reveal the coolness yet warmth from the light to me. Each stroke, so carefully placed allows light to emerge and wind gust to move. I get an earthy feel from it all. Moreover, the sense of location. Looking at the painting, you can see that we are looking down on a town, so the eyes of the person looking at this must be on a hill or some sort. Then it makes you think what this person is doing up here, especially during the night. Escaping troubles? Entering a new home? Possibilities of what this person may be doing here gives me a new perspective on the painting each time.

4 comments:

  1. I like how you reflected the image to your personal experience. It touch my heart and makes me rethink about every thing around me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the way you kept relating to the exploring idea in the begin. I also like the way you stayed on the idea to notice your surroundings. I enjoyed the way you kept grabbing my attention with your ideas. I enjoyed the way you kept the read easy to read without any spelling mistakes. The way you made you point easy to understand and kept proving it. I like your connections to your personal life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with the points you made in your second paragraph. The way Van Gogh painted this artwork makes the viewer feel as though they are standing on a very tall hill that overlooks the town. The color blue is often associated with depression so the person standing on the hill may be going through a troubling time in their life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You really touched on details i didn't even see and made me think much deeper when looking at the painting and how i can reflect my ideas more on my surroundings. You inferred your ideas nicely and made it much more easy to put your point across.

    ReplyDelete