Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Jordania Rozon_Starry Night Prompt_Blog # 1

        When Looking at Van Gogh’s painted Starry Night, to me it represents movement and serenity. The first thing that catches my attention is the night sky. With its distinctive brush strokes and different shades of blues, whites and yellows, makes the painting more interesting to whoever is looking at it. From the swirling of the clouds, stars’ burning with their own shadows and a bright curved moon makes this painting much more alive. The small tint of blacks makes the sky seem more dark and mysterious to match the strange and larger figure. This figure, maybe a bush, brings confusion and mystery to the painting. Bringing many questions on why its really there or even what it is.
The lighting of the sky reflects the small towns bellow. The dark smooth colors around the town and also the church made it bring a feel of tranquility and religion. While the small amount of yellow brings harmony and child like memories from when I lived in the suburbs.  The dark shades of the trees surrounding the town brings another feel of isolation, because of how small the town looks from all the other details Van Gogh painted. Without all the details in the night sky such as its lighting and colors, I don’t think the painting would have much meaning or interest to it.

3 comments:

  1. I found it cool how you related your observations to how they made your feel. I especially loved "While the small amount of yellow brings harmony and child like memories from when I lived in the suburbs." I adored that sentence (maybe because I live in retrospect, tehe).
    This read really poetically, too.
    You also address all the colors, and I was totally in love with the palette as well.
    I enjoyed this.

    -Rachel =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make very good points. I very much agree with your points of isolation and tranquility within the peace. It's interesting to see your view of perception of the painting. You definitely effectively analyzed the details of the technique involved as well as the piece overall. In addition, your connection of the painting to past experiences raises more interest. It's also good to see that you're effectively using the notice and focus method!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love your use of vocabulary in your response,as well as the way you related things to your personal life.

    ReplyDelete